As the summer temperatures creep in, motorists should remember that vehicles can get better fuel efficiency with their windows closed and air conditioning on when at fast speeds. However, during stop-and-go traffic it’s more efficient to open the windows, according to the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA).
The aerodynamics of a vehicle are improved with the windows closed on the highway, as there is less drag on the vehicle. There are other ways to improve fuel efficiency with the top advice being to service your vehicle regularly!
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), there are several other tips a motorist can follow to improve gas mileage, including:
- Turn the engine off if you anticipate a lengthy wait. Idling burns more gas than restarting the engine.
- Avoid carrying unnecessary weight in your vehicle. Extra weight decreases gas mileage. Also, reduce drag by placing items inside your vehicle rather than on roof racks.
- Keep tires aligned and inflated. Keep tries inflated to the maximum pressure can improve the gas mileage of a vehicle.
- Get regular car maintenance and engine tune-ups. Tune-ups improve performance of the vehicle as well as gas mileage.
- Avoid stop and go traffic by taking an alternative route that may be less busy.
Make an appointment with Texas Auto and let us take care of your auto repair and maintenance needs!